Saturday, May 8, 2010

Networking the Right Way



Relationships are all there is. Everything in the universe only exists because it is in relationship to everything else. Nothing exists in isolation. We have to stop pretending we are individuals that can go it alone.
-Margaret Wheatley

The goal in my thesis is to bring people together at work to eat together at lunch. One of the reasons why I chose this topic for my thesis was because through all my co-op experiences I have found how my lunch experience has effected my relationships with my coworkers. 

Our overall well-being and sense of happiness is dictated by the support, guidance, and love that we build for ourselves in our community.
-Keith Ferrazzi

A colleague of mine, Nori Satatsume, recommended I take a look at a book by Keith Ferrazzi called Never Eat Alone. This book is about networking the right way, taking the time to be a geniune, giving person without asking for anything in return. Ferrazzi talks about the typical problem in networking, where people hoard as many contacts as possible in a short period of time and leave a flaky impression. I've been hearing this more than once lately, that the goal at social events should be to make 2 to 3 solid contacts. That way you can have a meaningful conversation where you learn something and they learn something about you.

When we are truly passionate about something, it's contagious. Our passion draws other people to who we are and what we care about. Others respond by letting their guard down. 
-Keith Ferrazzi

Another thing I want to mention, is that a lot of people talk about how friendships and contacts are often built off of common interest and passion. Yes, I believe this is true and I believe that this is how many deep relationships can be built. However, there is also something in building relationships with people who come from different backgrounds and have different passions, because these relationships open our eyes to other opportunities and interests.

No comments: