Wednesday, February 18, 2009

India: Leaf Bowls

A couple of weeks ago, some of my classmates and I saw the webinar by IDSA Design for the Majority Section called “Subtle Technologies: What I’ve Learned in India About Design" by Larry Hoffer.



Loffer gave an example of recycling and reuse: pressed leaf bowls. These are found on train platforms, and fall apart shortly after being soaked with the Indian food in the bowl. After use, the bowls are thrown on the ground and eaten by the roaming cows on the streets, which results in fertilizing manure.

So why do we use paper bags+styrofoam containers+napkins+plastic utensils when we are going to just spend 15 minutes eating? I think this is why a lot of people eat over the sink. Also, I think this is one of the beauties of street food everywhere.


(Hoddeok in Korea... yumm.. just need one piece of paper to keep from burning your fingers!)

No comments: